Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wizard101 Privacy

This afternoon I spent a couple hours on Wizard101. I just spent this time in the commons. I just enjoy hanging around and seeing what people are up to. Occasionally someone will come talk to me and things just progress from there.

As everyone knows, the commons is full of people spamming. Thing like "I need treasure cards" and "Help me with this boss" to "I need a girl/boy". Spamming can get very annoying, but that's not the point of this post.

I am here to discuss a major issue. This one person named Monica (I do not remember her last name) continuously asked who wants her grandmaster account because she has a family account. A few lower level intrigued by the idea of gaining access to a grandmaster account went up to her of course. She then told them that she would trade accounts with them and asked them to 'go first'.

I told them to not listen to her, it's a scam, don't tell her your account info, and so on. I stopped everyone, but she still continued to do it. I just hope nobody honestly gets into this situation. Most likely the account was a fake. I know this because in order to get to grandmaster you would need a subscription or crowns which cost money. Plus, the people coming up to her were low level (10 and below) which probably didn't have a membership. So basically she would be trading an account she is paying for to get her hands on one that has no membership. In other words, a complete waste. Therefore, she could not actually be serious.

So she was giving them a fake user-name and password in return for the victims actual account. Thus, scamming an innocent player of the game. Thankfully I stopped her from stealing any accounts, but this does happen often and sometimes people aren't there to stop it.

So please report anyone who is trying to scam people out of their account. It is against the rules to give out any account information.

DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY ACCOUNT INFORMATION TO ANY PLAYER!

Kings Isle themselves even said they would not ask for your password. So no matter what someone says or promises to do, never give out that information. It can lead to serious consequences.

7 comments:

  1. It's good that you posted this. A lot of the younger people on there are so eager for a grandmaster that they will trust someone that they don't even know to give it to them. It's horrible because they are too nieve to understand that they are being scammed. I'm glad that you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We appreciate you drawing awareness to this issue. Asking anyone for their username or password is a bannable offense. So please report it when you see it! We check all of these reports, and I assure you they will lose their account for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep they are a lot of scams on youtube too. stuff like "just email me your username and password and i will get you unlimited crowns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah I actually had a guy comment on one of my videos and he told me his username and password just so i could do this housing bug at his home......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Besides what Lady Oriel stated, "Asking anyone for their username or password is a bannable offense." It has been noted elsewhere to NOT report someone for spamming for treasure cards, codes, etc. or risk being banned yourself, as KI does not see this type of behavior as a reportable offense. It's a messed up rule, but all we can do is stand in the Commons and yell, "SCAM" or whatever. And those of us who are adults need to pay attention to our child players, keep 'em safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow ... I am glad you were there.

    I read that Wizard101 will go through the chat around the time of you notifying them of a problem. This will prove what you said and will disciplne the ... well, I don't want to call them a wizard because wizards of all classes treat one another with respect.

    I reported someone for cussing at me and running around and around my wizard ... that person was booted immediately.

    Thanks for keeping Wizard101 a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this page totally inspired me... i really need someone to join my group and No i wasnt trying to steal your idea i just was trying to do what u do

    ReplyDelete